[VoiceOps] Main number fail-safe solution for small ITSP

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:07:10 EDT 2012

We have established trunks directly from one or more of our carriers
directly into our office phone system and now do not run much of our own
office systems over our own network explicitly to prevent this sort of
nightmare scenario from playing out.

Obviously at that point your selection in origination carriers may
become the trouble point, so I would make sure the origination carrier
is truly carrier grade, or you can publish multiple support contact
numbers which come through different carriers.

Also consider leveraging out of band communications for that nightmare
scenario where the infrastructure has experienced some kind of critical
failure and realistically your poor support team will be unable to do
anything save for act as customer punching bags. Twitter, livechat
systems and announcement webpages can all be excellent for communicating
with your customers in these scenarios.