[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Fri Jan 18 13:44:15 EST 2013

Unless I'm missing something here, you're not proposing to sell service
to a stationary location and warning the customer that 911 will break if
they fail to notify you that they've moved the phone, but you're selling
service to stationary location A when the customer has already notified
you that they'll really be using the phone in stationary location B.
That really doesn't sound like the same thing at all.  They've already
told you that the phone is going to be in location B and you're
proposing to not handle 911 appropriately.  (My apologies if I've
misunderstood the situation.)

Be warned that the FCC has clearly signaled that they don't find waivers
involving 911 the slightest bit amusing.  See
http://www.fcc.gov/document/vantage-communications for their side of our
story.  You might find the references to actual regulatory language useful.

I also find myself impelled to ask:  Are you actually pricing this in
such a way that there's a line item for 911 service with a dollar figure
next to it?  That's just inviting the customers to try haggle, and could
be construed that you consider 911 optional rather than a fundamental
part of your service.  Or is this all just a side-effect of charging for
the DIDs in the additional rate center(s) where the customer's employees
live?

Bottom line, however, my advice is that you're treading into waters
where you *really* *really* want to talk to a competent lawyer with a
specialty in this arena and not take random advice on a mailing list.
Not even mine.  :-)  Getting this wrong could conceivably destroy your
company.

At the very least, compare what the FCC is currently saying against what
Mary Lou is saying, some of which appears to be dangerously out of date.

--Jon Radel
jradel at vantage.com
267-756-1014