[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Fri Jan 18 18:15:15 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Nathan Anderson <nathana at fsr.com> wrote:

> I'm also not sure how you propose to bind E911 details to a device instead
> of a telephone number.  The few E911 services I've looked at all only give
> you the option to provision E911 information via TN.  So if you propose a
> set-up such as what is being discussed here, where each company phone only
> has an internal extension # and no DID, and CLID is uniformly set to a
> single number for all outbound calls from any phone whether it is located
> in the office building or at an employee's residence, then there can only
> be a single E911 address for all of those phones.  That seems inescapable.
>  Are you saying that there are E911 companies that can provision
> differently, and not use the CLID as the "key" to looking up an address?
>  What do they use/how do they work, and can you name some names?

We use a third party to support 911 for us, and they take care of the
network details based on the CLID we deliver on a specific call.  They
route to a local PSAP according to the address we've put in their system,
not the NPA-NXX of the CLID.  In our system, we have two variables for each
SIP device; the e911 provider and the e911 CLID/ANI.  So on the system side
we have granularity down to the device if desired.

> The only other kludgey workaround I can think of that might pass muster
> would be to assign unique "throwaway" TNs to each individual extension that
> you would use as the CLID for outbound from that extension *only* when 911
> is dialed, and continue to use the global office TN as CLID across all
> extensions for all other outbound calls.

We sometimes do this if the situation requires it, and I wouldn't call it
kludgey.  We do process calls into that number in a normal fashion,
directly to the extension.

A related discussion in this:  What do most of you tell your customers
about testing 911 on their new phone system?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve