[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Jan 18 18:38:26 EST 2013

On Friday, January 18, 2013 3:15 PM, Carlos Alvarez <mailto:carlos at televolve.com> wrote:

> We use a third party to support 911 for us, and they take care of the
> network details based on the CLID we deliver on a specific call.  They
> route to a local PSAP according to the address we've put in their system,
> not the NPA-NXX of the CLID.

Yep, that's exactly how ours works as well.

> In our system, we have two variables for
> each SIP device; the e911 provider and the e911 CLID/ANI.  So on the
> system side we have granularity down to the device if desired.

Yes, but again, that doesn't help with the question of what to do if a single TN for CLID purposes is shared amongst many devices, which is what I took your original question to be.  The E911 provider will look at the CLID and transmit the address provisioned for it, so in this scenario, there can only be 1 address for all of these devices because there is only 1 TN for all of these devices.  There's no mechanism to identify a device *other* than by TN, so if you share a TN between devices, there is no way to achieve the 911 granularity that you want for your customers that choose to operate like this.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC
nathana at fsr.com