[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jan 18 19:33:29 EST 2013

On 1/18/13 3:46 PM, Mike Ray wrote:
> The difference here is the demarcation point.  If you're handing off analog
> lines, there are two important differences:
>
> 1. You're not providing the PBX functionality as part of the telephone
> service and,
> 2. You're using a technology that is incapable of sending a different ANI
> than what's in your switch for each line.

An extension-only SIP phone doesn't have a unique ANI.

> So the requirement here is that the e911 ALI address must match the physical
> location where you have those lines installed.

But there are no "lines" for DID-less extensions or for that matter an
"installation" in the case of softphones.

The company HQ where the main ANI is answered is the ALI address.  Call
it and talk to the receptionist.  Drive there in a police car and visit
the same receptionist.

> If you are looking to protect yourself from the customer moving to a new
> location, ATA, PBX and all, you just use a contract provision requiring them
> to notify you of address changes.  You could also require them to have you
> move the service to the new location for more security there.

Yes, and you should.

> So, different animal that the hosted PBX question...

ATA, PBX and all is indeed a different animal than an extension-only
remote phone.

The problem, and I don't know if there is a full solution, is that PSTN
telephone numbers have always been used to identify the destination of a
call.  9-1-1 assumes that this identifier of a destination positively
and unequivocally also identifies the origin.

Think in terms of laptops with softphones.  There is no way to make that
work with the present 9-1-1 infrastructure.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net