[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 01:48:50 EST 2013

On 1/18/13, Mary Lou Carey <marylou at backuptelecom.com> wrote:

They should be made to understand it is not optional for their
provider to offer 911 service.

However, as ill-advised and risky as that may be, if they should
choose to do so anyways,  they may be  capable of configuring  certain
kinds of physical VoIP handset models they give to their employee,  on
their own,  in such a manner,  as the device will be unable to dial
certain numbers.

The ITSP/provider is providing the service,  but the end-user customer
altered the hardware they chose to use with the service to make it
incapable of dialing  phone numbers that they selected;   either
through its configuration files, or    some custom application or
firmware the customer loads on the VoIP phone to   provide a "banned
number"  functionality,   or a feature that will redirect emergency
calls to their own "emergency proxy"   that for capture and suppress,
without  allowing the call to reach the ITSP/VoIP provider's  servers
for routing.

--
-JH