[VoiceOps] 911 address policy for company phones at home

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Jan 18 19:59:21 EST 2013

If you currently provide the roaming 911 service and the customer is balking
about paying for it, I think I would just tell them that you are legally
required to provide 911 service to your customers and you're not willing to
accept waivers for 911 when end users move their phones because it is a
liability issue for you. If they want to take on the liability of choosing
to not provide 911 service to their employees when they bring their phone
home, then they can go look for a provider who will allow them to do that.
While they may be able to find a provider to do that, they have to realize
that the decision to change providers so they don't have to pay an
additional 911 fee when their employees bring their phones home opens them
up for a lawsuit should anything happen when an employee tries to use their
VOIP phone to dial 911 from home.

The waiver may be appealing in the short run because it can save you money,
but chances are its really not going to be worth it in the long run. If you
think about it, when something bad happens and your end user needs to dial
911 they are not going to remember that phone doesn't display their address
accurately. They are going to pick up the first phone they see because they
are in a heightened state of alert and common sense usually goes out the
window in those moments! The reason doctor's offices always put have a
recording on their voicemails stating to that if you have a life threatening
emergency to call 911 is because people don't think straight when disaster
strikes and they frequently call the doctor's office when they should be
heading for the ER!

Mary Lou Carey

BackUP Telecom Consulting

marylou at backuptelecom.com