[VoiceOps] Customer with offshore office - best practice?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jan 29 15:41:56 EST 2013

On 1/29/13 12:19 PM, Shripal Daphtary wrote:
> Jay, we do this today with an Edgemarc for local proxy for the phones
> and an Adtran that terminates a PRI in the local country.  when the
> caller calls out to a local number, the calls trunk from the EM to the
> adtran via dial plan and then exit the PRI.  likewise in inbound.  If
> the caller calls internally they dial 3/4 digits and use dial plan for
> group dialing.
>
> i'm busy at the moment,but i can give you a more detailed answer with
> some config help later.
>
> just wanted to let you know it works :)

Yes, in fact we have done something similar with just an Adtran TA900
(or similar 240-volt Adtran Netvanta - warning to others that the TA900
is 120 volts only - don't ask how we know).  It indeed mostly works.

The problem is that if the customer now wants to conference or transfer
that call to someone on the hosted system they're stuck due to the local
routing to the PRI.  Basic calling works well but hosted features are a
problem.

"Please get Bob from next door on the phone and transfer him to me", as
an example.

All of the solutions we have come up with do date have some element of
ugly-hackishness to them.  That may be the nature of the beast, just
wondering what others may have come up with that works.

Alex, so far New Zealand and Ecuador are the countries of concern.  I'm
more interested in a solid technical solution that is scalable if one
exists than dealing with individual national regulation yet.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net