[VoiceOps] VoIP traffic survey

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 4 10:04:24 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Frank Bulk" <frnkblk at iname.com>

> My apologies, I'm not following you here -- can you give me an example
> of a TDM traffic (i.e. T-1 or DS-3) flowing over the Internet?

Didn't say it had to be TDM.

I am a VoIP end-user.  I pick up my desk phone to make a call, and my
PBX routes it.  It might go:

* To a local PSTN gateway, and out over traditional TDM (or analog) lines, or
* To a commercial gateway provider, or
* Direct to the other end's PBX as a 'native' VoIP call

In either case, it might get there over

* Private, dedicated IP networking, or
* The Internet.

The 6 sextants are "who operates the gateway" multiplied by "who owns the
wires I use to get there".

Cheers,
-- jra