[VoiceOps] VoIP Monitor - MOS

Adam Vocks Adam.Vocks at cticomputers.com
Mon Aug 11 15:58:47 EDT 2014

Thanks Jesse.

From: Jesse Howard [mailto:jhoward at ShoreTel.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 2:56 PM
To: Adam Vocks; voiceops at voiceops.org
Subject: RE: [VoiceOps] VoIP Monitor - MOS

Like any metric, MOS is up to you to interpret.

You will need to determine if at a certain call threshold you can
predictably see your MOS drop. From there you will need to see if you
can relate this to CPU, RAM, network saturation etc. For example, if a
particular trunk fills up and you start using a different provider at a
certain number of calls, this could be normal for you based on why that
provider is used as an overflow and isn't necessarily unexpected
behaviour.

As such please bear in mind that MOS from VoIP Monitor is not a
definitive metric of something out of the ordinary. It is very helpful
to help indicate potential issues but is not by itself any indication
that something is not working as expected. For example telling your
carrier that VoIP Monitor scored a few of their calls poorly probably
won't get you much on its own.

Jesse