[VoiceOps] Lync, VPN and DNS?

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 02:51:36 EST 2015

Well as I see it you have 2 ways to solve this problem:

1: Introduce some kind of split-horizon DNS which then adds multiple
layers of complexity unnecessarily and ultimately puts another yoke on
the neck of the DNS admin. This may or may not actually solve your
problem as the SDP in the signaling generally uses IP address literals
not FQDN's

2: Let the signaling and media take the same path, whether that be
tunnel the media, or put the signaling over the public internet. Both
have their merits depending on your requirements and infrastructure. If
this is for lots of single remote users using softclients, and you have
a relatively robust VPN head end, then tunnel everything. Solves for NAT
and can even pave over jitter and MTU issues. If this is hardphones or
the VPN head end is of questionable beefiness, then work out the NAT
traversal and pass it all public (can use TLS for signaling here for
security)