[VoiceOps] 2015 Softswitch

Peter Rad. peter at 4isps.com
Mon Nov 2 10:19:27 EST 2015

You didn't get my whole point.

Customers want the same cheaper -- because that is how we trained them
to think.
That is how we "sell" in telecom. We take orders while driving the price
to zero because (A) we don't value sales and marketing as a sector of
the economy; and (B) this has traditionally been an arbitrage business.
However, low prices only work in mass scale with automation.

First criteria of picking a switch is What are you selling and to who?

It sounds like you want the cheapest switch available so you can sell at
$10 per seat.
That doesn't scale at all. The vendor can't support that. You can't
scale that.
To support software you have to have revenue. Hence, per seat licensing
or maintenance fees.
BSFT may be expensive but it has proven to scale -  over 1M trunks from
XO and WIND and 10K seats added per month by an MSO. You pay for that.
That said. You don't need something that would scale like that.

NetSapiens is a great platform, but how would they continue to support
it with a flat rate price?

When M5 dumped their M6 platform and built their own, they paid 75 devs
to support it. That is overhead! Talent, hiring, benefits, management,
etc.   We had a great discussion about this at ITEXPO in 2 panels with
Dialogic, XO and Netsapiens (see summary:
http://www.dialogic.com/den/d/b/corporate/archive/2015/10/14/nfv-and-open-source-explored-at-itexpo.aspx).
We are doing it again at ITEXPO in Ft Lauderdale in January.  Join in.

Colton,  you have this idea that this should all be one turn key system
for practically free. This is exactly the kind of customer mentality
that everyone complains about. Free music, free movies, free content,
free software.  This isn't the first time you asked for switch
recommendations either. So you are searching for Bigfoot.

In business, you cannot be all things to all people. That is the Duopoly
- average things for the mass market.

The CLEC industry has always been fringe. Today, you either sell on
price (and eventually lose to someone cheaper like say Microsoft) - or
you put together a value prop for a specific target and you sell to
those 1000 customers, then the next 1000 and so on.

If HPBX was about price, someone would already own the market. And no
one really does.  It is a SIP trunk world.

The HPBX industry is littered with open source. Linux, Apache, PHP,
OpenStack, Asterisk, OpenSRS, DNS, JPG -- all open source, buddy.

Thank you.

Regards,

Peter Radizeski
RAD-INFO, Inc.