[VoiceOps] Upcoming Fees for Text Enabled Telephone Numbers (Bandwidth.com)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Nov 5 15:15:48 EST 2015

So I got this today from Bandwidth.com. A quick Google search yields no
announcements or news that I can see. A call to Bandwidth got me zero
information about how much this new "fee" will be on each number.

Anybody have any more in-depth information about this?

     Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:43:24
     Subject: Upcoming Fees for Text Enabled Telephone Numbers

     Valued Bandwidth SMS / Messaging Customers,

     We want to take this opportunity to inform you of some changes taking
     place in the SMS messaging industry. These changes will impact the fees
     associated with your account.

     The messaging industry is implementing a new monthly subscription fee
     for each text-enabled number. These fees will be issued by central
     registries (NetNumber and Somos (formerly SMS/800)) to which carriers
     and messaging providers (including Bandwidth) send records for message
     routing purposes.

     We anticipate that these central registries will begin invoicing
     Bandwidth for these monthly fees as soon as January 2016. Bandwidth is
     developing tools (GUI and API) to empower our customers to manage these
     costs by enabling or disabling messaging based upon individual
     telephone numbers. When Bandwidth deploys these tools, we will also
     begin to apply the appropriate monthly fee associated with messaging
     services.

     In preparation for these changes, please contact Bandwidth at
     xxx-xxx-xxxx by 11/20/2015, so we can provide you additional
     information and applicable paperwork, if any, for this new service.

     Thank you for your business,Bandwidth