[VoiceOps] 2015 Softswitch

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 13:27:21 EDT 2015

My experience is that most customers aren't looking for cheaper; they are
looking for a better value proposition.  The traditional phone company they
have and their hardware vendor have been screwing them for years with a bad
value prop.  Outages that go for a day or two, all MACs take days and cost
$175+, missing basic features like concurrent ring, remote/home phones,
etc.  We find that the most basic of VoIP features are what most customers
are looking for, along with stability and exceptional customer support.
They are also tired of talking to a $10/hour call center worker when
something does go wrong, or they need a change done.

We position ourselves with all the features that have easily recognizable
business value and a high level of service.  We are not cheap like Vonage
and others, but that almost never matters.  And we've learned that if it
does matter, that customer will suck anyway.

About 15% of our customers are highly customized, and that's another value
proposition.  Doing something that can't be done with PRI/analog, and in
some cases, that other VoIP providers can't do.  Those customers are higher
in overall revenue per seat though, and probably account for 30% of our
revenue.