[VoiceOps] Growing difficulties porting DIDs out of major VoIP carriers

BackUP Telecom Consulting marylou at backuptelecom.com
Wed Mar 6 15:27:40 EST 2019

Technically, it is possible to port without an LSR as long as winning
carrier submits their port request in NPAC and the losing carrier
concurs. The LSR is technically just a courtesy notice sent to the
losing carrier so they know to look for the port request in NPAC, but a
lot of games get played when it comes to LSRs on both sides of the
fence. The losing carriers often play games by refusing to concur in
NPAC until they receive a "valid" LSR (which can require an act of God
to be considered valid). Winning carriers also play games sometimes by
refusing to put any effort into making the port happen. Tracking an LSR
through the entire process involves a lot of work that they would prefer
not to do so they purposely weed out the customers that don't really
care enough to make a big deal about keeping their old number.  Some
winning carriers have no clue what to do if they run into a problem with
the port request and others just refuse to deal with a request if
doesn't go through easily.

Last year I was without my business number for about 11 months after I
moved because Comcast disconnected my service before the port completed.
I complained that I'd had my number for 10 years before porting it to
them but that didn't seem to bother them. They had no intention of
putting the effort into getting my number back! Initially they claimed
they couldn't get it back after it had been disconnected. Then they told
me it had already been released back to the previous carrier. When I
told them I was a telecom consultant and knew their SPID was still
associated with my TN, they finally admitted it was still available, but
claimed they couldn't give it back to me unless I installed new service
with them. I told them I had it call forwarded to another number for
months after I disconnected the equipment but they claimed they couldn't
turn it back on unless there was equipment at my previous location.
After numerous calls and a threat to file an FCC complaint, I finally
got them to turn it up for a month so I could port it away. I ended up
having to pay them $110.00 so they could dispatch a tech to my previous
location and activate my number. (The tech hooked up the equipment,
activated the phone service and then removed the equipment and told me
not to return it until after my number ported.) SO frustrating,
especially since I could have walked them through the entire process!
Unfortunately there's not a lot of oversight and it's very difficult for
an end user to get help when it happens so until these offending
carriers get their hand slapped enough, they have no incentive to clean
up their act!

Mary Lou Carey

BackUP Telecom Consulting

Office: 615-791-9969