[VoiceOps] Get ready for a weird dialplan change. 9-8-8 suicide hotline.

Ryan Delgrosso ryandelgrosso at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:21:49 EDT 2020

The inverse of this, forever ago, I had the city threaten to blacklist
the corporate office of a former employer and stop responding to 911
because one executive couldnt stop fat fingering 911 when dialing his
home which was area code 919......

FWIW I always looked at dialplans as being charged with figuring out the
will of the user and applying that, not imposing arbitrary, byzantine
hurdles. Now if there is any pre-9 dialing going on, i just add a 8
digit and 11 digit check for leading 9s and drop them at ingress and
then both use cases are gracefully managed.

Thankfully this new service still falls into the XYY dial pattern, is
easy enough to detect, and (so far) isn't routed differently in each
municipality.