[VoiceOps] Get ready for a weird dialplan change. 9-8-8 suicide hotline.

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Sun Jul 19 12:46:32 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-19 11:21, Ryan Delgrosso wrote:
> if there is any pre-9 dialing going on, i just add a 8 digit and 11
> digit check for leading 9s and drop them at ingress and then both use
> cases are gracefully managed.

Sounds like a form of permissive dialing.  Jam digits in, your
translations will sort it out.  I like it!

So for example, if I dialed an 8-digit string starting with a 9, such as...
9-555-2222
...it would strip the 9 and send it out as...
555-2222
...?

And if I dialed an 11-digit string starting with a 9, such as...
9-619-555-2222
...again, it would strip the 9 and send it out as...
619-555-2222
...?

Do you have issues with timeouts, though?  Especially in the 7/8-digit
case?  However, this new 988 order will require many areas to convert to
10-digit dialing (including mine), which may make that irrelivent.