[VoiceOps] Get ready for a weird dialplan change. 9-8-8 suicide hotline.

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 13:44:13 EDT 2020

We do very permissive dialing.  Handsets have a default area code, so they
can do 7 digit dialing if they want.  We used to accept a 9+ but not
require it, but about ten years ago dropped that.  Funnily enough, the only
problem was a support ticket 1-2 years ago from a long-time customer, with
one employee who couldn't dial out.  She suddenly woke up one Monday
forgetting that we dropped the 9+ ten years ago!  1+ or ten digits is fine
for us also.  The phone timeouts are set pretty low so it works fine, and
we only get a small number of accidental short dials because of it.

The 9+ dialing seemed to be causing some 911 misdials, which is why we
removed it as allowable.  And that definitely helped.  BUT...we still
process 9911 as a 911 call, it's just that people not having to regularly
dial the 9 first has helped stop accidental calls.

We block 411.  It's 2020.