[VoiceOps] Confusing Spoofing Customers

Karl Douthit karl at piratel.com
Fri Nov 6 11:38:10 EST 2020

Sounds like you have either:

A)  The group making the calls are trying to get live people, and when they
leave a message they are leaving a "real" call back number in an attempt to
play at being legitimate, even if that number does not go back to them.

or

B)  The group making the calls were giving a random / bad / incorrect
number to use.

Either way, I'd request a traceback from your inbound trunks that the call
came in on and see if the process can work its way back to the originator
of the call.  You can also file a complaint with the FCC but that will take
longer to get processed.  Or do both.

In the meantime if this is becoming an issue, you could perhaps put a rule
for your customer that "unknown" gets routed into an IVR or voicemail
bucket for validation later on.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 8:30 AM Christopher Aloi <ctaloi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> We have observed multiple reports of our business customer telephone
> numbers being used by a bad actor leaving messages for consumers.  The
> consumers receiving the call do not have a direct relationship with us.
> The bad actor presents “unknown” as the caller-id and leaves a harsh
> message asking for personal information and demanding a call back (illegal
> sounding collector call).  The number the bad actor leaves to be called
> back (in a verbal message) is owned by one of our business customers.  So,
> the response to the “bad” call goes back to the legit company.  The
> consumer calls our business customer back and explains the message, the
> business customer has no record of an outbound call to the consumer and is
> perplexed by the call.
>
> We have a few customers impacted by this and in every instance we have no
> record of the outbound (bad actor) call leaving our network.  I can’t
> figure out the scam here, they aren’t pumping traffic and the call goes
> back to the legit business, leaving no opportunity for the bad actor to
> engage with the consumer.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Karl Douthit

10572 Calle Lee  #123

Los Alamitos Ca. 90720

(562) 257-3590 (Desk)

(562) 824-0757 <%28562%29%20827-0757> (Mobile)

*www.piratel.com <http://www.piratel.com/>*