[VoiceOps] Call Quality

Jared Geiger jared at compuwizz.net
Wed Jun 16 17:42:50 EDT 2021

I've seen an increase in G722 calls and I've seen a few AMR-WB calls get
through too for our International vendors. Its still relatively new for
them outside of the IPX/VoLTE market. I've had a large PTT ask to help with
end to end testing for AMR-WB with them. A handful of International vendors
are supporting G722 with us but still only Inteliquent for domestic. Does
Ribbon/Sonus charge extra for it even in passthrough modes preventing the
rest of the domestic carriers from using it?

Rural Call Completion is definitely still a big quality issue. One way
audio, foreign country ringback tone, and PDD followed by a 503 is what we
test and try to mitigate before customers notice. The race to the bottom
pricing has drawbacks. There are several CLECs that I won't put their
"Gold" , "highest level" deck in route because its still garbage.

Occasionally we will see dropped calls due to incorrectly configured SIP
timers.

I'm curious to see what happens with quality KPIs when more end
destinations start validating/rejecting SHAKEN/STIR calls. Will we get
higher PDD because carriers don't deploy their certs in a CDN and someone
DDOSes the certificate host? Will end destination carriers finally start
rejected the grey route International traffic with nothing or C level
attestations?