[VoiceOps] [External] Re: 9-8-8 dialing when an outside line access code (9) is being used

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Mon Jul 18 00:19:05 EDT 2022

We operate a system with the "dial 9" scheme (apparently "useless"
according to other posters - a truly insightful attitude that I love
to see on this list), so I can say that the expectation definitely is
NOT for people to dial 9911. In fact, there is a whole law about it,
which, like many, is written in blood:
https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/podcast/personal-story-behind-karis-law

The difference is, if someone picks up a phone and dials 911, they
want 911. They don't want an "outside line" so that they can dial a
NANP 10-digit number beginning in 11, because no such number exists.
The problem is, such numbers DO exist that begin with 88, so, we are
in a bit of a pickle there. It seems the only solution is to do a
timeout... yeesh. (Unless I'm missing something.)

Dialing 911 directly (not 9911, but just 911) has always worked here,
long before Kari's Law, and it works without delay, as it should. I'd
love to make 988 work the same way but I'm just not sure how to
accomplish that.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey