[VoiceOps] [External] Re: [External] Re: 9-8-8 dialing when an outside line access code (9) is being used

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Mon Jul 18 02:38:56 EDT 2022

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 1:03 AM Ross Tajvar <ross at tajvar.io> wrote:
> re: dialing 9 - I understand the plight of having to deal with legacy
> expectations, but what's the point of sticking with this particular
> one? What makes it not-useless?

In our circumstance, all of the following is true:
 - Our extensions are the last 4 digits of our DIDs
 - Every user gets a DID
 - Most calling is internal

I think if any of the above was not true, we would probably have
enabled 10-digit dialing and just put up with the delay for dialing
extensions. But with outside calling being the exception, and with
re-numbering effectively not on the table, I think the friction of
changing things around was not worth it. We would have to retrain
several thousand users and the result is the system is now slower (if
they use their old habits).