[VoiceOps] SIP Trunk Failover

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Thu Jun 9 14:32:20 EDT 2022

I agree with Jay, it is very customer specific.  We offer all varieties
of failover to meet their needs.

Some have multiple sites with us and want the entire trunk to failover
to a trunk at an alternate site.  This requires the alternate site to be
prepared to accept all of the DIDs of the first site, serve the
appropriate IVRs, attempt to ring phones (possibly at the first site if
they still have connectivity to it), etc.  Or they might choose to
simply redirect all such DIDs to the main number of the alternate site.
Either way, the customer has a lot of control over happens without
having to coordinate with me.

Sometimes they want it to failover to a phone number, like a cellphone,
an answering service, or like before, an alternate location.  If the
alternate location is not served by me, or maybe they just don't want to
configure all of the DIDs of the first site into their alternate site's
PBX, then it makes sense to failover to the main number of the alternate
site.

If the customer were to request different behaviors for different DIDs,
then I would do that.  For example, a school might want different
failover behaviors for the Elementary Office DID, the High School Office
DID, and all the other DIDs.  That would make sense and I would
certainly set that up for them.

We have some where the failover is POTS lines in a small hunt group,
that we preferably deliver as traditional copper loops.

If the customer did not request a failover, then the default will be a
busy signal.