[VoiceOps] Alarm panels and how they dial DTMF digits - pots migration from DMS to Metaswitch issue

Matthew Yaklin myaklin at firstlight.net
Mon Feb 13 17:47:08 EST 2023

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023, Matthew Yaklin via VoiceOps wrote:

> What I am seeing is that the DMS was collecting the digits properly
> before the cutover. Yet our migrated to setup is having trouble. We
> see missing digits in most cases or other oddities. It does appear the
> alarm panels are dialing within DTMF specs. Duration of the DTMF is
> approx 95 ms. A DTMF signal separated by a 150-200 ms pause.

->  Can you modify this timing to something longer? Like 250ms tone, 250ms
  space/delay?

---- Those are the exact questions I asked the fire alarm panel guy and it appears the answer is no once I got him through his 10 minute tirade it used to work on the DMS and other things he saw go wrong over his career. I also wanted to know if the alarm panel could manually dial a call like a pots line could and I never got a clear answer on that or documentation on the panel that I could study myself. So maybe the answer is no, maybe he never tried to do it, or he has no clue.

---- I get the feeling these alarm panels are quite old and based on the pictures I saw of a couple of them ancient. They have definitely been on the wall for 20 plus years along with that DMS switch sitting in our central office.

Matt