[VoiceOps] China Attack or Attack on SS7 Network?

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Thu Feb 22 16:30:20 EST 2024

My daughter just ran in and told me everyone is talking about the
outages all over the country. Some reporters are claiming that it's a
cyber attack and others are reporting it as a solar flare. Pardon my
French, but I call it BS!

 I've been involved in resolving some of these outages and if you look
at the common denominators between who is experiencing outages and what
services are affected, it's crystal clear what's going on.

>From my experience, the common denominators in services affected are SS7
Trunking, Service to Hospitals, and the 911 network (which shouldn't be
affected because it rides a totally separate network from regular
traffic). When you combine that with the unwillingness of the RBOCs and
ILECs to decommission the SS7 network in a responsible way and
interconnect with other carriers via SIP, it's pretty easy to figure it
out. Especially because the RBOCs and ILECs have been so unwilling to
work the trouble tickets that involve these call failures. Can anyone
guess what they're trying to do?

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969