[VoiceOps] One Way Audio - Frontier Comm (Los Angeles area)

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Mon Mar 11 11:03:58 EDT 2024

Yes, hosts or routers-in-the-middle that don't send ICMP type 3 code 4, or
which drop such a message sent by another host instead of forwarding it, do
make me upset.

But...

In this case we're talking about relatively narrow-band, widely-compressed RTP
audio.  Admittedly I rarely deal with any VoIP audio streams other than
PCMU-encoded ones, so perhaps it's possible other codecs are different (though
I'd be surprised...timeliness of delivery in a real-time application like this
is far more important than efficiency of packing the data into as few frames as
possible), but I personally have never seen an RTP frame that comes close to
approaching standard Ethernet MTU.  The packets are typically more like a
couple hundred bytes large.

And of course being UDP, TCP MSS doesn't enter into the picture, either.

In short, I have a hard time believing that MTU issues are the underlying cause
for many (or even any) VoIP audio delivery problems...but, as the meme goes,
"change my mind"; heh.

-- Nathan