[nsp] MPLS Traffic engineering

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 02:20:05 EST

Hi All,

Just another query on MPLS Traffic engineering.

In order to ensure bandwidth guarantees for a VPN customer, I understand
that RSVP signalling could be used. The cisco web site states that for
achieving the same, tunnels need to created & RSVP signalling used, The
other point was that IS-IS is the only protocol that has the necessary
extensions for MPLS. Now for a network like ours which is built purely on
OSPF as the IGP, How will I achieve the same?. Similarily is'nt this
method of manually creating & maintaining tunnels an overhead, It
resembles the previous generation IP VPN services using IPSEC encryption,
wherein tunnels had to created & maintained seperately, resulting in
management overhead. It will be great if I could get across some
references for deployment.

Another concern is how I limit bandwidth on the last mile of a customer.
Given an example wherein a customer has the following requirement - He
needs one connections to two of his branch offices & one conection to the
Internet with the follwing bandwidth requirements -
 - Connection to branch A @ 1 Mbps (India to UK)
 - Connection to the Internet @ 1 Mbps (India to Internet)

Assuming my network is built with two data centres, One in India & the
other in UK, wherein the data centre in UK peers into AT&T for the
Internet part, & the customer requires Intranet connectivity between India
& the UK i.e. between his offices.

Now If I am to provide him with a single last mile connection using an E1
(2.048 Mbps) circuit into my PE router on which all his connections
terminate. I would also need to control how is bandwidth is allocated
end-end. Now internal to my Service provider network I will use "traffic
engineering" for guaranteeing bandwidth. But on the Ingress (ie on the
last mile) How will I ensure that Internet traffic is given 1 Mbps
bandwidth, & the other circuit is allocated 1 Mbps. Just to ensure that
one connection does not deprive the other connection of its bandwidth.
Will I need to use something like CAR at the Ingress, or can MPLS traffic
engineering be extended to the last mile.

I understand that the VRF table decides the list of destinations that are
allowed to be accessed by a particular VPN customer's network. Now if the
same customer needs Internet access, How will it provisioned, will it be
achieved by a default route at the customer end, which I feel will not be
ideal. How will the VRF need to be populated?

Kindly advice,

Thanks & warm regards,
Vinod.