[nsp] QOS or Queuing or what?

From: Richie (rb@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 16:14:42 EST

Kinda of a tricky question, if it is not clear please let me know.

Is it possible on a Cisco 6509 or 75xx series to limit a type of traffic per
conversation to a certain amount of bandwidth? For example, let's use the
wonderful Napster idea. On a T1, I want to limit Napster to 30kbps per
conversation per user, so if all users use Napster that's fine, but each
user will be limited to 30kbps per conversation. The T1 can be all Napster
traffic, but want all users to be able to access the circuit. As I
understand it, in the normal queuing mode, you set a minimum amount of
bandwidth aside or cap a type of traffic to a percentage of the bandwidth
utilization.

So if users are performing web requests (port 80), they are not limited in
any way. Someone has mentioned Packeteer Packetshaper or the like.

Suggestions are welcomed,

Richie