Re: [nsp] Cisco 7507 performance

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 03:39:53 EDT

> From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
> To: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [nsp] Cisco 7507 performance
>
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Dave Cooper wrote:
>

> > > This is not true. GEIP's behave like they are a single PA on a VIP
> > > (which they are not, but they support dCEF in this manner). You will
> > > find all your favourite VIP like commands work on them, it downloads
> >
> > This is the case with dot1q packets and i *believe* ISL -- these
> > types cannot be CEF switched and are punted. Like you said, GigE
> > and 75xx just dont mix well... and if you're even thinking about
> > pushing anything over 200-300mb, save yourself pain and hassle and
> > go buy a GSR or Juniper. If you require Gig-E speeds, you should be
> > on those routers anyways.
>
> What is the story on the 720x-VXR when it comes to these performance
> issues?

Well the VXR chassies is supposed to support about twice the bandwith
at the PA interface, but you're talking about shared processor/routing
acceleration between all of the PA's. In theory you should be able to
push more bandwidh thru the PA-GE than a GEIP, but the limiting factor
may come from the other direction.

For the 7500, the VIP4 is basically just more CPU power, but the sam
PA interface spec, rumor was that there's a VIP8 somewhere in the
mill that's a VXR equivalent, and then the ISE technology used on
the newest 7200 RP & the 10000 series could also be VIP'ized, though
it's kinda academic if Cisco can't buckle down and make CEF work
reliably on 7500/VIP combos.

I guess the way I'd look at it is that GEIP's and PA-GE's are great
for letting existing Cisco hardware play on Gig-E networks, but if
you want to *drive* Gig-E networks, you need to look at GSR's or
Junipers.

                                                George