Re: [nsp] 7206 with CT3 and Fast Ethernet

From: kevin brintnall (kbrint@visi.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 16:00:08 EST

> > We are trying to deploy a 7206 with a built-in FE and a channelized T3
> > card. Based on TAC's response, we are running 11.1(17)CA in order to
> > recognize the CT3 card. Now whenever we try to bring up the FE
> > interface, it bounces up and down. TAC thought it was a bad IO
> > controller, so we swapped it and the problem persists. If we run
> > 11.2, the FE works fine, but the CT3 is not seen. We've also changed
> > out the MII transceiver and tried different switches. Any thoughts?

> I had the very same problem with the FastEthernet on a 7206 a few months
> ago. I couldn't find a load that supported everything we needed *AND*
> did not exhibit this problem.

Are you pushing any data over the interfaces yet? If so, you may be
running into a bug we came across earlier in the 11.1 tree.. If the
"no keepailve" suggestion below doesn't work for you, try disabling
fair-queueing on your interfaces. You can check your interfaces' queueing
strategies with the "show interface" command:

  Queueing strategy: fifo

"no fair-queue" is our friend. I do not know whether the bug is present
in releases as recent as 1.11(17)CA, but it's not a hard thing to check.

> But I found a workaround: turn keepalive off ("no keepalive") on the FE
> interface. The problem will go away and you will not have trouble with
> the FE interface.

Good luck!

--
 kevin brintnall <kbrint@visi.com>