RE: [j-nsp] Hot-plugable power-supplies in a M20 ?

From: Guy Davies (Guy.Davies@telindus.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 10:11:13 EST

Hi Carsten,

No, there is no conflict. If you're going to replace a PSU, you must
switch off *that* PSU to disengage the interlock mechanism. You can
then remove the PSU and replace it with a working one. Obviously, if
that's your only PSU then you must power down the unit. But, if
you've got a second PSU, it will continue functioning while you
replace the faulty unit and, when installed, you can power it up
without any impact on the performance of the box.

Turning on a power supply causes a router to boot if it is not
already booted. It doesn't cause it to *reboot*. If that were the
case, you'd get a double hit whenever you turned on a dual PSU box
(unless you flicked the switches on both PSUs at exactly the same
time).

Regards,

Guy

.