[c-nsp] cpu usage of a 7200 npe-g2: disapointed

Philippe Strauss philou at philou.ch
Mon Sep 3 12:13:28 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 01:15:45PM +0200, Christophe Fillot wrote:
> Philippe Strauss a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> >We replaced a 7200 NPE400 with a NPE-G2 recently and are disapointed
> >by the CPU usage: this router switches ~80kPPS in+out (~180Mbps), it
> >was peaking at 55% CPU, now 40%, while the CPU clock is more that
> >4 time higher on the G2.
> >
> >currently running: c7200p-p-mz.122-31.SB7.bin
> >was running 12.2.16-is
> >
> >any comment on this?
> >

> Rodney explained this in a previous thread:
>
> https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2007-April/039999.html
> https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2007-April/040171.html
>
> Chris

Thanks for the remainder. Actuall I was aware of it, but the discussion
is about comparing G1 and G2.
I was thinking a NPE400, which is ~half the speed of a G1 would give
others numbers figures.

On this box, the busiest interface is a HSRP master with others boxes
using it as a (statically routed) default. On the same LAN, another
border (HSRP standby) get traffic from the G2 (master).
It means quiet a chunk of traffic gets in and immediately out
of the same interface.
In the elder days, before CEF, I should have configured "ip route-cache
same interface" on this one. Is it still necessary nowadays?

regards.

--
Philippe Strauss
av. de Beaulieu 25