[c-nsp] ASR-1001 bgp memory usage

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed Sep 21 15:25:46 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 04:13:21 PM Christian
> Kratzer wrote:
>
>> show versions shows this beast has 4GB memory of which
>> the IOS process seems to use 1G
>
> I think it was Robert who reported something about this a
> couple of weeks back. We've seen similar behaviour in IOS XR
> systems.

Thanks for the pointer.  I found this posting from Robert:

    https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2011-August/080691.html

| Also on the other hand what is not so nice about ASR1K used as control
| plane box is that only half of RP memory will be given to IOS while
| the other half will be reserved for system/platform use. This is just
| #define currently and is the same regardless of IOS routing
| protocols/bgp being 64 bit based for some time.

so we might not get too lucky with having even two full feeds on a pair of ASR1001.

I will definetely want to do more research on this and open a case with our cisco contacts. We do not have redundant IOS processes as I was able to verify now and the box has 4 GB of ram so I would expect to see 2 GB for IOS on accounts of above posting but we are only seeing 1 GB usable ram.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2