[cisco-voip] Using wireless headsets and handset lifters...

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 11:44:39 EDT 2006

Hi Tim,

There is a service parameter that controls this, I believe it is "Always Use
Prime Line". If this is set to true, you will only answer line 1 if you lift
the handset. If you have it set to false (which appears to be the default),
it will answer any line that is ringing on the phone. So maybe someone
changed this parameter on your cluster. We had to set it to true because it
was driving our people crazy, they kept answering the wrong lines that they
were only wanting to monitor.

This is a clusterwide setting, so its all or nothing. I don't know of any
way to set this on a per-phone basis.. if you happen to find one I would
love to hear it.

Does that help?

On 10/11/06, Tim Reimers <tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us> wrote:

> Hi everyone--
>
> We're having a problem that I need some guidance on:
>
> We use the GN-9120 wireless headset system
> *
> http://www.gnnetcom.com/US/EN/MainMenu/Products/Wireless+Solutions/GN+9120.htm
> *<http://www.gnnetcom.com/US/EN/MainMenu/Products/Wireless+Solutions/GN+9120.htm>
> with the handset lifter
> *
> http://www.gnnetcom.com/US/EN/MainMenu/Products/Wireless+Solutions/GN+1000+RHL.htm
> *<http://www.gnnetcom.com/US/EN/MainMenu/Products/Wireless+Solutions/GN+1000+RHL.htm>
>
> CCM 4.01 and 7960 phones
>
> What's going on is this:
>
> It is currently necessary to program all the secretaries phones such that
> the main# of the school is on the  the primary line  of the phone,instead of
> their personal line.
>
> This is because when the headset lifter picks up the handset, the first
> line is the one that comes off hook-- NOT whatever line happens to be
> ringing.
>
> This means that the Messages button just goes into the Call Handler for
> the school, instead of checking that receptionists' voicemail.
>
> We'd like to set things up so that the secretaries phones could all have
> their personal line on Button 1, so that the messages button works as it
> does on all other phones-- goes to the person's own voicemail.
>
> Then, the school main# would be on Button 2 or 3 --- and picking up the
> handset (either manually or with the lifter) would
>
> answer whatever line is ringing on the phone, instead of what's happening
> now:
>
> if you have a call arrive on button 3, you CANNOT just pick up the
> handset-- you must pick the handsetup/hit speakerbutton/and THEN select
> Answer on the function buttons under the LCD display.
>
> I was told by one person that the answer was "AutoAnswer" drop down on
> each line--
> But when I've set the 'AutoAnswer' feature on individual lines, I can only
> select 'headset' or 'speakerphone' (not any handset option) and the call is
> * automatically answered without anyone touching the phone***- that's NOT
> what I'm after---
>
> I still want someone to have to intervene to answer a call--- but I want
> them to be able to just pick up their handset and 'take' whatever line is
> ringing.
>
> Does that make sense, or have I confused people?

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations