[cisco-voip] Trouble with upgrading firmware due to firmware bug

Kin Wai kinwai at singnet.com.sg
Tue Nov 3 09:28:39 EST 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble with this firmware load "TERM70.6-0-2-0S". In the current
environment, it's DHCP based. I manually disabled DHCP and point the TFTP
server to another TFTP server (new callmanager with latest firmware)

It seems like the phone is stuck with a reboot loop with "verifying
firmware" showing on the screen. It didn't download the latest firmware at
all.

The only workaround I can find so far is to either do factory default else
if factory reset. So far I tried 4 of them, none of them manage to retrieve
the firmware successfully by itself without any user inference.

Something interesting is occasionally when I do a factory default on the
phone (the step with 1234567890*#) , it will connect to the new callmanager
without upgrading to the latest firmware, instead it boots up and connect
using term7.default(the default firmware load). Is this normal?

In a successful example, after the factory default command, it will download
the latest default firmware load, follows by the latest firmware load.

Anyone face  similar problem before? Having to factory reset/default is
really not something I want to happen during the migration day or before the
migration day during late evenings.

Regards,

Kin Wai