[cisco-voip] Ringback instead of busy/disconnect

O'Brien, Neil nobrien at datapac.com
Wed Mar 17 15:10:23 EDT 2010

Hey Guys,

So with the help of TAC we eventually got to the bottom of this issue:

Firstly, when I removed the command voice call send-alert, I stopped
getting ringback, but the caller would have to wait for about 20 seconds
before hearing the disconnect/reorder tone.

Secondly, we established that call manager was sending progress instead
of an immediate disconnect on both dial-peers (10seconds on PUB and SUB
dial-peer) and after about 20 seconds, the caller would hear
disconnect/reorder.  Actually what was happening was that the
annunciator was playing the "the number you have dialled is incorrect"
or whatever the message is but for some reason, the caller couldn't hear
the annunciator (prob codec or something).  It was playing this message
once on each dial-peer.

We traced it back to the MRGL that was assigned to the device pool that
the gateway is assigned to.  The MRGL included the annunciator.  When we
removed the MRGL from the device pool and reset, I got an immediate
disconnect from the gateway when i called an unassigned DDI.  However in
my setup, all devices MRGL's are assigned at the device pool level so I
couldn't just remove it.  I needed to create a new MRGL with no MRG's in
it and assign it directly to each of the gateways.

I've never had this issue before but now that I'm thinking about it, on
other installations I may have assigned all the MRGL's directly to the
devices and not at the device pool level so maybe that is the
difference.

It's one to chalk up to experience, hopefully it will help someone.

Thanks again for the help,

Neil