[cisco-voip] UC on UCS

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 12:27:03 EDT 2013

When doing the UC on UCS designs you basically need to make sure:
-The processor family is support (Intel E7-XXXX, no AMD, etc)
-The processor speed is high enough
-No memory over subscription
-No CPU over subscription (can't use hyperthreading to cheat)
-All VMs meet co-residency and lowest common denominator on hardware
specs/VMware version
-Correct VMware version for VM specs and application requirements
-IOPS availability for SAN/Local disk
-Storage space available

Generally on the C-series it's IOPS that is the bottleneck. For B-series
it's usually the CPU count. For instance, just because you can get enough
space on the C-series it doesn't mean it's supported. Plus, getting exact
IOPS counts for your drive types/speeds/RAID levels isn't a simple task so
there is usually a level of engineering tolerance built in; on top of using
worst-case simultaneous IOPS for all applications for the determined size.

So it's gotten a lot more flexible in the last few years, but after doing
this sizing and support exercise, the TRCs are still a pretty valuable
play. If anything, configure the same thing as the TRC and drop down the
memory as most UC on UCS VM's are usually 64GB of RAM but probably only 20%
utilized.

-nick