[cisco-voip] Informacast

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Mon Dec 7 15:05:17 EST 2015

Hi Aaron!

With a 3850 stack in an environment like you describe, the config I would likely do on the interface (unless I had some mitigating reason to do otherwise) would look like:

rthtestlab# conf t

rthtestlab(config)# ip multicast-routing

rthtestlab(config)# int gi1/0/10

rthtestlab(config-if)# ip pim sparse-mode

rthtestlab(config-if)# end

rthtestlab#

(keep in mind that if you do use sparse-mode, you will need a rendezvous point)

IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) registers individual hosts in a multicast group on a particular LAN (VLAN). Enabling PIM on an interface also enables IGMP. IGMP also limits the flow of multicast traffic through the segment using things called, "queriers" and "hosts"; in order to participate in multicasting, the device (in this case a 3850 stack) must have IGMP running.

I would take some time and review http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/consolidated_guide/b_consolidated_3850_3se_cg_chapter_0101000.html#topic_046CCC6211D149DBAD2E9D7F22C7306D (multicast on 3850). There are a number of road-bumps you could encounter with multicast that could have you scratching your head.

Another tip with these IP paging solutions is that most of them (Singlewire being one) require the web server on the IP phone to be enabled. Something that can get overlooked sometimes.

= Ryan =

Email: ryanthomashuff at outlook.com

Spark: ryanthomashuff at outlook.com

Twitter: @ryanthomashuff<http://twitter.com/ryanthomashuff>