[VoiceOps] New to VoIP

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Mon Jun 21 14:28:41 EDT 2010

Welcome to VoIP!

The importance of the role an SBC plays in a VOIP topology is somewhat
based on what type of VoIP service you're offering.  If you're basically
providing a last-mile POTS service from a CO in your region of interest
and then trunking to a VoIP provider for off-net access you could
somewhat justify against purchasing an SBC and setting up properly
configuring access lists on your IP edge (you should also ensure
whatever core/edge Ethernet/IP routers/switches are capable of handling
the throughput you require).  However if you're providing phone service
over the public internet using IADs/ATA/IP Phones then you will
absolutely want to look into SBC options as they provide various
important functions such as NAT traversal and load shedding/DOS
protection which is important when opening any type of interface to the
public internet.

Whether you go with commercial hardware/software solution or go with
open source should be based on cost and support.  If you are unfamiliar
with VoIP it may be a better path of approach to go with commercial
vendors since they can provide you with support where required rather
than having to dig through various mailing lists and debugging exercises
to narrow down what may or may not be a bug in the end.  In contrast, if
you want to implement new functionality, with some talented programmers
you can do so yourself with open source solutions vs. going through long
and drawn out battles/cordial discussions with vendors to get them to
implement some functionality you may find useful or novel.

Regards,

Justin Randall

Team Leader - VoIP Engineering

Comwave Telecom Inc.