[VoiceOps] Hotel Phone System

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 15:28:39 EDT 2019

The problem here is defining "service provider."  Again in my 911 training
he kept saying things like "this isn't up to the service provider, but has
to be done by the customer's system."  Well sure, but in a hosted
environment, we are the customer's system, and it is our problem.  I
believe that Colton is looking at being a hosted PBX to the hotel.  This
means he will need to do all of the compliance stuff in whatever system he
provides.

I also recently had training for the 3CX platform, and several other
providers there solved the hotel 911 problem with various email
notifications to pagers and things like that.  Oh, and there is some
expectation for redundancy, battery backups, and the like.  What if a fire
takes out the power and the 90 year old disabled woman in her room can't
call for help?  Also the hotel 911 problem is very similar to campus 911
requirements for notification and being very location-specific.  IE, every
room has to have a 911 location and callback number.

Speaking of all that, if I were doing a hotel, I'd strongly consider 3CX in
a VM for their service PBX.  We could probably do such a thing in two days
after working out templates and such, then the hotel can self-manage a lot
of details.