[VoiceOps] Ray Baum's act and all-softphone deployments

Brandon Svec bsvec at teamonesolutions.com
Mon Sep 27 15:17:10 EDT 2021

Yeah, the intersection of the law and voice technology is interesting..

Even though RC does allow end users to update their location relatively
easily, I notice they still have this disclaimer that makes it near
pointless-

"It may take up to several hours for the address update to take effect"

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me if your TOS says something like, "you
need to tell us in writing where you are if there is to be any chance of us
routing your 911 call to the right place." that should be defensible.  What
other option is there?

Someday I could imagine voip providers held to the same or similar standard
of mobile providers.  Some political will and technology improvement could
make it feasible in the future for a softphone on any device with location
services to share that info for e911 purposes.

*Brandon *